Resolutions and New Year
Resolution to Help the Ocean in the New Year
With the New Year approaching, we all have resolutions we want to make. We want to make 2020 better than 2019. We did the same when 2019 began:
- Eat better
- Exercise more
- Spend more time with family
- Read more books
- Relax more
- Stay away from caffeine
- Save more
The list goes on. It differs from person to person. If it is for betterment; then we are glad.
As Odyssea is situated in Ocean City, and our company entwined with the ocean, if you make a list this year, could you add “helping the sea” to your list?
About 71% of our earth is covered in water, and considered our most precious resource. Our water is the life blood that keeps the whole world running.
How to Help the Ocean
There are many ways you can help our waters and its plethora of life forms mingled throughout.
- Do not use plastics
- Do not use single use plastic containers
- Reduce your carbon footprint- Carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas, is making our oceans more acidic. This is contributing to the loss of corals on a global scale as their calcium skeletons are weakened by the increasing acidity of the water. ~ Oceana.org
- Bike, walk, or use public transportation instead of driving
- Reduce electric consumption by turning off lights when you leave a room & plug electronics into strips. Unplug strips when not use electronics. Plugged in equipment still pulls electricity even when “off.”
- Since you may be trying to slim down as a resolution, try plant-based “meat.”
For further explanation & more ways to help the ocean, go to: https://oceana.org/living-blue/10-ways-you-can-help-save-oceans
A Little Sweat to Help the Ocean
If you are a very hands-on person, and want to see immediate results from your work, join a beach cleanup. The Ocean City Surf Club has beach clean up days. Here is a link:
Helping the Ocean from Home
All our waters feed into one another and eventually make it to our ocean. You could show our waters love just by changing some small habits at home.
- Conserve Water- Checking for leaks consistently, not running water while completing tasks like brushing your teeth, changing out showerheads to a low flow model, and even reusing water for things like watering the plants has the ability to not only save water but your pocketbook as well.
- Use Environmentally-Friendly Products Clean
- Donate to Ocean Related Organizations with time or money
Just googling how you can help the ocean or our water ways will have many options. Find the opportunities that work for you. We appreciate any efforts you make, and so will the future generations that enjoy our oceans!
From all of us at Odyssea, have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year!